Today is the start of March Madness and National Potato Chip Day. The two are naturally tied together as college basketball enthusiast prepare to bunker down for the next six days. The menu for this six day event will surely include potato chips. This year why not try a few healthier options of chips.
While chips are not typically considered a health food, manufactures are reducing added sodium and cooking oils, turning a high-fat food to a low-fat option. Making healthier potato chips depends upon reducing added sodium and cooking oils in chips. Chips previously cooked in oils like cottonseed oil that are high in saturated fat, which can clog the arteries. Look for chips cooked in healthier oil options, such as sunflower oil, which has half the saturated fat of cottonseed oil. Avoid fats that contain trans fats, also called hydrogenated fats. These fats are the unhealthiest type of fats, and contribute to cardiovascular disease. Look for chips cooked with healthier oil options such as sunflower oil or soy oil. They do not contain saturated fats.
Natural chips have emerged and a healthier option for chips because they do not contain artificial ingredients. They are also not overly processed. Don’t be fooled by the labeling, natural chips and organic chips are not the same. Organic chips are produced without pesticides or fertilizers using typically renewable resources. In addition to being chemical-free and environmentally friendly, these options contain no preservatives or artificial coloring.
Listed below are a few healthier options. Remember, that all foods should be enjoyed in moderation. Over eating even the healthiest chips can damage your diet and contribute to your waistline.
- Pop Chips – sour cream and onion potato
- Pop Chips – sea salt and vinegar
- Baked Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream
- Kettle Baked Potato Chips Sea Salt
- Lay’s Baked! Original
- Pringles Reduced Fat Original
- Food Should taste Good – Sweet Potato
- Tostitos Baked Scoops
- Food Should Taste Good – Jalapeno with Cheddar Tortilla Chips
- Gutless Gourmet – Chipotle Tortilla Chips
- Garden of Eaten – Blue Chips
- Kashi – Pita Crisps
- Beanitos – Black Bean Chips
- Blue Diamond – Almond Nut Thins
- Mediterranean Snacks Baked Lentil Chips Sea Salt and Pepper
- Gutless Gourmet – All Natural Chili Lime