Fashion can cause pain and deformity to your feet. Shoes that have no arch support, are cramped in the toe box, or have a heel that is more than an inch and a half high are all damaging in the long-run. Here are some basic tips for healthier feet:
- Go barefoot whenever possible. Walking around without shoes restores natural motion and fresh air reduces fungal growth.
- Use your toes to pick up small and/or light weight objects instead of bending over. This develops strength in the arch of the foot.
- Walk barefoot the length of a room on tiptoes and then on heels to promote health of the veins.
- Keep the Achilles tendon and calves stretched out and limber. This is key to preventing certain heel spurs.
- Stand with your bare feet hip distance apart. Press the toes firmly against the floor and hold the pressure for several seconds. This action will build the foot muscles.
- Cut toenails straight across. Never cut into the corner as this could cause an ingrown toenail. Gently file away sharp corners or rough edges with an emery board.
- Sit down and shake out the legs and feet. Give the soles of your feet a nice massage with soothing oil or lotion.
- Grip a towel in your toes while your partner grips the other end. Play tug-of-war.